By Alexis Lockwood
Thank you to all the Alberta Rent Smart Educators who are working tirelessly to support people experiencing marginalization and vulnerability right now. As your organizations adjust to physical distancing protocols, please feel free to contact us with any questions about adapting your Rent Smart programming.
As a reminder, due to COVID-19, the Alberta government has enacted several new protections related to renters and landlords. These include:
- Tenants cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent and/or utilities before May 1, 2020.
- Rents on residential properties or mobile home sites will not increase while Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency remains in effect.
- Late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments until June 30 and cannot be collected retroactively for this time.
- Landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while COVID-19 is being managed.
- Landlords can still file applications and receive orders for possession if the reason for the eviction is unrelated to rent and/or utility payments, or if a tenant refused to negotiate or comply with a payment plan.
For the most up-to-date COVID-19 information in Alberta, please visit www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx.
Questions about RentSmart in Alberta? Please contact Alexis Lockwood, Capital Region Housing, at RentSmart@crhc.ca or 780-702-9652.